Monday, December 17, 2018

'Tis the Rainy Season

It rains every single day lately.

I know, I know, you're probably already tired of me writing about how rain is the perfect weather to write, and then I'm gonna start rambling about hot coffee in a warm room reading book and listening to lo-fi hiphop and acoustic medley of my favorite rock songs. Classy, comfortable, safe.

I wish that was the case.

Because with thunderstorms like this outside, it's definitely BMTH or OM&M time. Blasted loud on your crystal-clear speaker you don't usually bring out the full potential of, because tolerance, but now definitely calls for the moment. Screaming at the top of your lungs to incoherent choruses and 155 BPM guitar riffs. I still have a book on my hand, though, and the coffee's long downed.

Sometimes it rains just when you're finished with class. You take out your umbrella and earphone, and you decide to walk home instead of taking the bus, listening to acoustic medley of your favorite rock songs. Oh, I said that already. The raindrops falling atop the nylon canopy of your umbrella, following the beat of the song. Profound. Your boots tap against the small puddles scattered on the pavement, one hand in coat pocket. It smells like dirt mixed with fresh water. You take in the earthy scent. Pluviophile.

But I lied. Nobody wants to walk home when it rains. Everyone ubers their ass home, that's why the fare skyrockets as soon as the first drop hits the roof. Public transports become packed like crushed sardines in a tin box. Even when you didn't forget to bring your umbrella, the wind was too strong for your trousers and shoes to avoid the droplets. You're torn between shielding for your backpack or shoes, and end up soaking both.

Even when you decide it was raining light enough to be romantic to walk home, you're not in a music video, you're not in a movie. Drainage was shit, uneven potholes give way to large puddles which depth you're unaware of, and before you know it your sneakers are muddy mess beyond recognition. Some asshole in a car thought it would be funny to drive past by, full Initial D-style, and you were too late to protect your side with your umbrella, one of its metal ribs broken, limp in defeat.

You were lucky enough to have a roof to get home to, though, I reminded myself of a silver lining I could salvage from this situation. And at least you didn't get struck by lightning or something, and that one sounds more like a jinx. But thankfully I was already at the doorstep, shaking the water off my sky-blue (although the sky right now is dark grey) umbrella and fumble with the keys.

"I get the romanticism of walking under the rainy sky, I really do," I said as I tossed my soaked everything to a plastic bag, making a mental note to contact the laundry service when it's sunny later. "My main complaint is the drainage system, also maybe I should get a bigger umbrella."

Most of it all, I get the romanticism of staying inside a cozy room sipping a hot beverage, in contrast of the cold and thunderous atmosphere outside. It's the only way to enjoy this situation, or at least avoid the harsh reality of it. I prepared my electric kettle to brew a cup of steaming hot coffee and warm myself up. Clothes changed to dry, my mug and dripper prepped on my desk, my bluetooth speaker connected to my iPod, and I set myself on the bed with a new book. Kettle on.

and whop. Blackout.

Like I said, it's metalcore time, because sometimes you're just not blessed with the chance to enjoy yourself.

I wish your rainy days hold better than mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment