Thursday, January 26, 2023

Whatever Floats Your Boat

I was on a drive with my boyfriend when I uttered how much I felt like a loser just because I was getting excited from taking a new route, and he said:

"Hey, it's fine. Life is about making stupid things as exciting as possible."

And he'd be right. Why should I feel bad for myself over this little thing? Since when did I accidentally invalidate my own feeling instead of embracing it? That might explain why I've been feeling like a miserable clusterfck these past days.

I have developed the habit of weaving myself a web of routine for me to stick my butt in throughout my life. I have easily left my engine running on autopilot, and sleep in the back seat. Having a routine is good and all, but when you begin asking yourself "what's the point?", you've probably outgrown the initial situation that you created the routine in.

And as an adult, I reckon that routine is hardly evitable. Still, I'm too stubborn to want to give in to the sense of boredom that could stop me from being curious or excitable. Still, also, it's difficult to maintain a sense of excitement when you're perpetually bored out of your mind, brain shutting down every now and then because there seems to be nothing new under the sun.

That's why I would quote him on that, a philosophy so silly yet so powerful. It's the little things, of course!

So what if I get a little giddy over just visiting a new supermarket, just going out for a drink in a new cafe, or listening to a new band, or just writing new posts on social media? The key is to find that stupid thing excitable.

And it's a good thing that I have someone close to remind me of how exciting the little things can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment