Sunday, January 22, 2017

When You Sleep, You Get Weird

Serious question: what does it mean you dream about one place so often?

Last night I had a dream, located in my old dorm, the very first place I stayed in when I started my college year. In that dream, a girl, an old acquaintance from elementary school, fainted. So I carried her on my back and went to that place to ask for help.

In the dream, the place had a spiral staircase from the front yard to enter the building, as opposed to a normal staircase in real life. It also had a huge, secured front gate, while in real life it doesn't have a gate at all. And in the dream, the rooms were small and dimly lit, with small single beds, while in real life the dorm has pretty spacey rooms, with bright lamps. But technically, they're still the same building. I don't know how to put it, but I was certain the location in my dream was my old dorm, even though some features are different.

It's not the first time I dreamt about that place, though. Already a long time ago, I dreamt that I was stargazing from the roof of that building, and also playing with some neighbor friends. The actual dorm has three floors, plus basement. The first floor is where my room was, the second floor also consists of dorm rooms, while the third floor is where you hang your laundry and stuff. In this floor, there's no doors, no rooms, just two sets of washing machines and ropes for drying clothes. By the washing machines, there's a couple of windows where you can see the outside. It's not outside, though, because when you open it, you're greeted with views of the building's roofs. When I did my laundry there, I sometimes wonder if I could climb out and chill there, on the roofs. But I never did that. The roofs were too steep and you can't really position yourself to 'chill' there.

But I guess my subconscious got the best of me, because I dreamt that I did fucking parkour on the roof with some friends, at night, and it was silent. Even when I jumped and landed here and there, my steps aren't audible. The roofs in the dream were totally different from the actual building roof, but I'm certain it's the dorm building.

Do you see what I mean when you dream about something, and it associates to a real thing you know in real life, and you're certain how they're the same thing even though you can't really know for sure how it associates or if it even true?

Sometimes in my dreams I would hang out with a few people. In the dream, I would be totally sure that they're, say, Chloe or Kai even though the situation doesn't support the argument. In the dream, I was catching fish with them. It doesn't make sense. Why would I be catching fish with Chloe or Kai? I only knew Chloe for a brief moment when we were in a group project, and we never talked otherwise. Kai, on the other hand, didn't even like hanging out with me. So why would the dream associate catching fish with those two people? Are those even Chloe and Kai? Was I wrong? But it seems right.

Dreams are weird.

One time, I dreamt that Franz Ferdinand (the band, look it up) were playing in my hometown during an eve. I didn't know whether it was Christmas, New Years, or something else, but the whole town were in festivity mode where everyone went to the street and just had fun. I don't like crowds, and I don't even go out during NYE or anything like that. I'm normally a house person, and I prefer to stay home especially when it's super crowded outside. Imagine how confused I was to dream that I was there in the middle of festive crowd in the town center, and Franz fucking Ferdinand was playing a gig! In the dream I got called onstage with a few more people and we sang and danced together, and when it was finished they invited us backstage. Awesome.

I woke up with a great mood, kind of sad it ended, but mainly beaming with delight. Strangely, that day I didn't feel like listening to Franz Ferdinand anymore. So I reduced my FF daily song intake.

Dreams are weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment