Thursday, January 26, 2017

Pseudo-yes

Pseudo-yes is... a term I coined to describe what I feel I've been experiencing throughout my life so far. I would define it as something like this:


I'm that guy in the class who would say "no" when you asked me if I had studied for the semester test, even when you had seen me opening the textbook during yesterday's recess hour. Chances are you're probably thinking I'm a fat liar who just wanted to bring everyone's expectation down and keep their diligence at bay. No. That's not the case.

There's a point where I open the textbook, look at the words and graphs, but understanding them is another different case. My body could be the one doing the 'studying', but my mind is wandering somewhere else. I was probably thinking about that one website I frequently visited which just had totally new interface, and mentally commented about it, more than I actually read the damn book, and suddenly the bell rang so I had to close the book to prepare for the next class. 

I open the book, but I don't read it, per se, in which case you couldn't say that I extracted a single good, useful information from that book. This is the case where I answer "pseudo-yes, I had studied biology for semester test". Am I prepared? Hell no.

It's also the same case where I had to prepare a book chapter to be presented in class (which is tonight, I suppose lol). I had prepared to do it since last week, mind you, but I couldn't even bring myself to read the damn book. I'm opening the book right now, and try to extract things by putting some of the main points that I have learned to the presentation file. This is a presentation file, but it's just... let's say, a draft. Would I use this as the outline for the real presentation? Probably not.

When people see me doing it, they'll probably think "oh, she's already started with the presentation." but have I actually started doing the presentation I would present? Again, probably not. When my group ask me whether I have started doing it or not, I could say that I have started doing something related to the presentation, but I couldn't say that I have started doing the presentation. Am I making any sense here? Please bear with me. So when they asked me, I could only say "no" when all I wanna do was answer with a "pseudo-yes", because that would socially make little-to-none sense.

Also the case when I started 'dating'.. two times, during elementary and high-school. When I was in elementary school, I didn't even know what dating someone means, what the consequences are, or what you're supposed to do in that situation. I just heard stuffs from my friends, like A is dating B, C is dating D, and so on, so I thought it was like something you could casually do, just kids stuff (oh totally)

There was a time when a boy, my classmate 'confessed' his feelings to me via text message. It was a time when downloading an episode of One Piece took overnight, kids were bragging about their new Nokia phones, and Yahoo! was still thriving. It was a time when I still had no romantic sense whatsoever that I didn't think his confession, not to mention via text message, was plain dumb. Long story short, we were girlfriend and boyfriend, but we only talk through texts, because he would be moving to another island in the term of two days (or a week? I forgot). There was practically nothing in that relationship, we even lost contact really soon and moved on with our lives without any sense that there was something in between. But our friends still thought, and they had it in their minds, that we were once dating. True, we were technically a couple, but I don't think we acted like one. So did we date? That's another question I would reply with a "pseudo-yes".

What about high-school? Well, it was slightly a different case, because I totally grew up and finally grasped a bit of this concept called 'dating'. This time he 'confessed' in real person in front of our friends during a house party or something, and I thought 'okay, I kinda like this guy' so bam we were a couple. Technically. Because after that night all that changed between us was only the frequency of texts and subtweets, and a lingering feeling of happiness that only lasted a week or so. I don't think we ever actually hung out together, just two of us, like a real couple. Needless to say, it didn't last very long. 

So, were we actually dating? Hmm... I don't think so? But we became couple? Even one of my high-school friend used the term "your ex" to refer to him when he forgot his name. This high-school friend didn't know him or me well, but he did know that we were once a 'couple'. So our identity could never be separate from each other. Whoa, that is deep and scary. This is another 'pseudo-yes' for the two thousand dollar question of whether we were dating or not.

I hope none of you guys thought this post was made to subtly 'curhat' about my previous relationships. It's actually just a terminology that crossed my mind when I was trying to do my presentation for pseudo-tomorrow. It's like when it's both tomorrow and not tomorrow.... nevermind.

You guys probably have experienced something so 'pseudo-yes' and didn't know how to describe it... now you have the word for it!

You're welcome. (just kidding I would probably cringe when I read this in the future)

No comments:

Post a Comment