Monday, December 22, 2014

"But Mooooom..."

Wut? It's Mother's Day already? Alright, alright, mom... I'll send you flowers. What? No? You don't want flowers? Oh, diamonds? God, mom, I don't have money. I know, I know I spend too much on pizza but that doesn't justify- Mom, if you want a diamond I'm not exactly the person to ask. You know I have- Yes, I'm aware I have college to pay but- Mom? Mom?

So.

It's Mother's Day.

I used to think that Mother's Day is such a silly day, like, it's mother's day everyday. Mothers are still as awesome as they are everyday. It's not like they turn into superman (superwomen, if you will) on that particular day and spend the rest of the year being un-awesome (is that even a word).

However, since I am now a college student, you know, being far away from her and occupied with tasks and lab projects and tests, it's kind of a reminder that the woman who had been supporting you since before you were even born, holds a big part of putting you in a place where you are right now. Well, at least in my case.

It's been quite a long time since I saw my mom. Yup, you know, being away and stuff. And not just seeing her, I meant like chatting about random things, getting yelled at and being bothered every time I try listening to songs with earphone. Frankly, I kind of miss her. Yeah, honesty, kinda. Not anymore the kind of goodness, where's mother I need her to talk to the doctor or mom can you please call [someone I barely know but have business with but feel reluctant to talk to] and tell him I [the business needed to be talked about]. I'm a grown-ass college student now. I can talk to people without being hesitant and clinging to mom every single time.

But now, it's more like miss talking to her because her insights are what put me here in the first place. Were it not because of my mom, I might not have entered into one of the most prestigious college in the country, or clean my room on a regular basis, or dye my hair blue.

Just kidding, mom, please put the sandal down.

Just kidding, reader. Mom doesn't even wear sandal.

Well, she does wear sandals, but very fancy sandals. You know, the brand like kickers or triset or something, that probably has straps or something behind the ankle. Contrary to popular belief when mothers try to look cool, she does actually look cool, and  she doesn't even try. Like, probably when she wears something, other moms look at her and try to look like her. Sometimes I wonder if mom has secretly discovered the Fountain of Youth and drunk the whole thing for herself.

Probably she wouldn't mind even if I dye my hair blue. Do you think it would look good on me? I'm just worried that my hair might not be able to handle it. She even approved when I said I wanted a short hair, like, um... short. Probably someday I'd ask her approval of tats but I wouldn't go that far, though.

See, the thing about my mom is how chill she is about my actions and decisions. Maybe it's because of the fact that I'm just that kind of 'good kid' who never asks for anything weird, like piercing or a 4WD SUV. But mom barely rejects me when I ask her if I can buy jackets or shoes or pizza. But at the same time, I'm aware that I don't demand that much. Usually at home I'd just sit around browsing on the internet or watch telly or mess around with our cat Villa, and she doesn't even seem to be complaining on how lazy I am. You know how some mothers normally bug their daughters / kids to just 'go outside and play' or 'clean your room it's such a mess' or 'get off the computer and help with the dishes'? No, I never get that kind of vibe.

There's so much freedom, trust, she put in me. I get to do the things I want. It kinda sparked a thought in me at first, like, what if I asked her if I can [insert dangerous or socially unacceptable situation]? But no, I never ask. Because I'm aware of how my mom allow me to get things I want, I know I should never let her down and test her with some kind of things that can break her trust and let her down. She gives me the freedom to do things, but at the same time she educated me in a way that I don't cross that line of freedom. We are content with this kind of mutual respect... I guess. I dunno about mom, but I'm content.

I'd say she's like an older sister to me, but that's kind of inaccurate. Like, yes, sometimes it feels like that, but most of the time she's my mom. Maybe coolness can be associated with people your age, or such freedom make me feel like she's not an ordinary mom, but it's just that... she's my mother. I only have one mother, and I cannot feel what it's like to be someone else's daughter, so it's almost like I have no concept of being mothered (is that even a word) other than by my mother. So however she's like, whatever she looks like--older sister, friend, bff-- she's a mother to me. Like, the mother. Not just my mother, or a mother, but THE mother. (at this point the word mother is floating away from my grasp of reality)

I'd like to thank my mom for always being there for me and providing me gateways to fulfill my needs. I'd also want to thank her for being the chillest person-- yet the busiest person I have ever known, a charming woman she is, and the coolest person to give me that Linkin Park shirt on my 14th birthday, and letting me skip two school days to see their concert on September 2010. Thanks mom! You da real MVP!




And to mom: see you soon!

Love, T.

No comments:

Post a Comment